Kashmiri youth tortured in custody, suffers kidney failure: Doctors

Srinagar: A 34-year-old man from north Kashmir, who was brutally tortured by Indian occupation army on August 31, is critical and suffering from acute kidney failure, doctors said on Tuesday. He has been put on dialysis, they said.

Father of five children—the eldest being 16-year-old daughter—Nasrullah Khan has bruises all over his body. His eyes are also swollen and bruised.

A resident of Devar Lolab, Khan was rushed to SMHS hospital here after the alleged custodial torture but after his condition deteriorated; he was shifted to SK Institute of Medical Sciences at Soura a few days back.

At SKIMS, doctors have put him on dialysis to save his life but maintain that his condition is “critical”. They said due to severe muscle trauma, due to alleged beating, Nasrullah has developed Rhabdomyolysis and acute kidney failure.

“In such situations, patients deteriorate very fast. The mortality rate, even with the best of treatments, is 20 percent world over,” a senior doctor in Nephrology department at SKIMS said.

He said although the patient was getting the “best possible treatment”, the condition doesn’t guarantee recovery.

Another doctor treating Nasrullah at Ward 4 of SKIMS said the patient’s creatinine level was increasing and his urine output was less than 100 ml. “His condition is really bad. We are trying to make his kidneys function but can’t say anything at this juncture,” he said.

Nasrullah’s nephew, Hilal Ahmad said he had gone for some work when he was detained by the army.

“I was thrashed by the army inside the camp for the whole day. They didn’t listen to me,” Nasrullah said, while undergoing hemodialyisis.

Moments later, he stopped talking, with anguish and pain palpable on his face. “I can’t speak. Even if I utter only a word my whole body starts to ache severely. Talk to my relatives, they know everything about the incident,” he said, with tears rolling down his eyes, purple with bruises. “I cannot even see properly,” he said.

As Nasrullah lay on the bed, his daughter called him insisting that they would come to see him. “I am alright and will be coming home in a few days. Don’t worry,” Nasrullah tried to calm down his children over phone. “If they see me in this condition, they will die before me.” He along with another youth from the area Manzoor Ahmad was allegedly detained by the army a day before Eid-ul-Adha. His relatives said while Nasrullah was dumped in the meadow by the forces at around 9 pm, Manzoor’s whereabouts are still not known.

Nasrullah is a labourer and his five children, wife and ailing mother are dependent on him. “Now my whole family will bear the brunt of these injuries. How will I support them now?” he says. His nephews calm him down. (Courtesy GK)

About Arif Qureshi

Check Also

Raja Najabat hailed the Turkish president’s continuous support on Kashmir

Islamabad: Raja Najabat Hussain, chairman Jammu Kashmir Self-Determination Movement International (JKSDMI) warmly welcomed the Turkish …