Islamabad: An Anti-terrorism Court (ATC) in Pakistan has ruled to press abetment to murder charges against chief operational commander of Lashkar Taiba(LeT) Zaki-ur-Rahman Lakhvi and six of his associates others on each of the 166 people killed in the 2008 Mumbai terror attack, reported by Daily Urdu Express News on Friday. The next hearing of the case is scheduled for May 25.
Lashkar-e-Taiba Chief operations commander Zaki-ur Rehman Lakhvi and six others accused in the 26/11 Mumbai attacks case will all be held individually responsible for the death of each of the 166 people in Mumbai Attacks in 2008. “The seven suspects will be charged individually for the abetment to murder of each victim of the Mumbai attack case,” a senior court official of the Anti-Terrorism Court Islamabad said, quoting the verdict from Friday.
Pakistanis security agencies arrested Zaki-ur-Rahman Lakhvi chief commander of Lashkar-e-Taiba(LeT), Abdul Wajid, Mazhar Iqbal, Hamad Amin Sadiq, Shahid Jameel Riaz, Jamil Ahmed and Younis Anjum accusing of abetment to murder, attempted murder, planning and executing the Mumbai attacks. And trial of Mumbai attacks is going on form last six years with out any result. Last year Zaki u Rehman Lakhvi chief commander of Lashkar-e- Taiba(LeT) was released on a bail while the other six suspects are in Rawalpindi’s Adiala Jail.
The An Anti-terrorism Court (ATC) acting on the application filed by the prosecution two months ago pressing ATC to charges against all seven accused as individually responsible to each of the 166 victims of the attack. They had argued that such an amendment in charges was necessary “for further strengthening the case against the suspects.”
Both India and Pakistan blames each other for delaying the case India blames Pakistan for delaying the trial of Mumbai attackers but case has adopted new dimension. On the other hand Pakistani officials have warned that the trial, going on for six years, could face further delay if India does not send 24 Indian witnesses to Pakistan to record their statements.
According to the prosecution, the trial court had completed recording the statements of all Pakistani witnesses in the case which has been underway in the country for more than six years. “Now the ball is in India’s court. The Indian government should send all Indian witnesses of the Mumbai case to Pakistan to record their statements so that the trial could further move ahead,” a prosecution lawyer had said. The last seven consecutive hearings in the 26/11 Mumbai attacks case were adjourned without any proceedings because of this dely.