By: Arif Qoreshi
LAHORE: The eight-member Pakistani judicial commission’s visit to India as part of the probe into the Mumbai attacks will have “zero impact” on the case of seven suspects charged with involvement in the incident, according to the lawyer of an Lashkar- Taiba Commander Zaki U Rehman Lakhvi whom india blames for masterminding the 2008 mumbai attacks in which 166 people were killed.
Speaking to media persons after coming back from india on Thursday evening at Lahore airport, Khuwaja Haris the lawer of let commander expressed dissatisfaction with the assignment and considered it as futile exercise.
PTI added sayig khawja haris that “Had we known that the commission’s members would not be allowed to cross-examine the four witnesses, we would have refused to go to India.
He further claimed that Even Pakistani prosecutors were not satisfied with the outcome of the visit. None of us was expecting that it would be a futile exercise,” he claimed.
The eight-member commission,who travelled to Mumbai last week, recorded the statements of the police officer who led the investigation into the attacks, the magistrate who recorded the confession of Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving attacker, and two doctors who conducted the autopsies of the dead terrorists and victims.
When asked why are you not satisfies whith the finding of the commission he replied,
”We were not granted access to Ajmal Kasab and we were not allowed to cross-question the four witnesses”.
He said that the mandate that the commission had taken to India wasn’t achieved due to hindrance by the Indian courts.
Haris said that the findings of the visit will soon be submitted to the government and to the courts.