Islamabad: In a deadly terrorists attack which was owned by Afghan Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid through a statement claiming that the attack was carried out by a group of five insurgents who stormed into the Inter Continental hotel in Afghanistan’s capital Kabul on Saturday night. Since then there are multiple claims and reports in media about the exact figure of killed and injured. The afghan based TOLO news reported that the death toll from the deadly attack on Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul climbed to 18 by late Sunday but one source said the number of dead could be as high as 43, at least 11 Kam Air staff members were among those killed in the Taliban siege on Intercontinental Hotel in Bagh-e-Bala area in Kabul.
The US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson also strongly condemned the Kabul attack at the Intercontinental Hotel in a statement: “We mourn all those who lost their lives in the attack, whether Afghans or citizens of other countries,” Tillerson said in a statement. “We offer our deepest condolences to the families and friends of those who were killed and wish for the speedy recovery of those wounded.”
Among the victims of this unfortunate incident were newly appointed counsel general of Afghanistan to Karachi Abdullah Wahid Poyan and the High Peace Council spokesman Ahmad Farzan and Jamaluddin Pachakhail, the director of communication information technology of Farah province, Pachakhail was in Kabul to attend an annual meeting of the Ministry of Communication and Information Technology. The death of newly appointed counsel general of Afghanistan to Karachi Abdullah Wahid Poyan was also confirmed by Afghan Ambassador to Pakistan through his twitter account.
It’s with immense sadness&shock that our colleague Mr. Poyan-newly appointed Consul General to Karachi & former CG to Peshawar was amongst those brutally killed in last night terrorist attack in Kabul.May his soul rest in eternal peace.Our hearts&prayers r with bereaved families. pic.twitter.com/1v05DuffFu
— Dr Omar Zakhilwal (@DrOmarZakhilwal) January 21, 2018
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said late Sunday he was shocked by reports about the death of Ukrainians in the weekend attack on the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul. Ukraine’s UNIAN news agency reported that six Ukrainians had been confirmed dead in the hotel siege which lasted 17 hours. “Shocked by tragic news from Afghanistan. Ukrainian citizens, employees of the Ukrainian airline, fell victims of the terrorist attack in Kabul. My sincere condolences go to the families of all the deceased,” Poroshenko tweeted on Sunday evening.
Meanwhile, the Ukraine’s foreign minister Pavlo Klimkin said: “I have instructed the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to urgently send the Ukrainian Consul from Dushanbe (Tajikistan) to Kabul to carry out the appropriate consular operations. We maintain contact with the US consular representatives who are now at the scene of the terrorist attack in Afghanistan,” he said.
We reject the knee jerk allegations by some Afghan circles to point the finger at Pakistan for the terrorist attack on intercontinental hotel in Kabul. There is need for a credible investigation into the attack, including on reported security lapses.
— Dr Mohammad Faisal (@ForeignOfficePk) January 21, 2018
Pakistan rejected on Sunday “knee-jerk allegations” by some Afghan circles of the attack on Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul, according to Foreign Office. In a tweet, FO Spokesperson Dr Mohammad Faisal stated that there was a need for credible investigation into the attack, including a report on the security lapses. The Pakistan Foreign Office, in a press statement issued strongly condemned the brutal terrorist attack at the hotel in Kabul, Afghanistan. “We express deep grief and sorrow at the loss of precious human lives and the injuring of many others in this terrorist act,” it said. The statement further read that cooperation among the states is important for effectively combating and eliminating the scourge of terrorism.